Keep in Touch
Guidelines for Faculty Participation in Collection Building
While responsibility for the selection of library materials rests with the library faculty, collaboration with teaching faculty is essential to build collections that support the academic programs of the college.
Purchase recommendations from every teaching faculty member are strongly encouraged. If you have a suggestion please contact contact Marianne Hebert at 315-267-3308.
Library faculty assigned as liaisons are responsible for coordinating recommendations and developing a balanced and integrated collection. A departmental liaison from each academic department works with a Libraries' liaison to ensure communication and coordination with regard to library acquisitions, including:
- conveying information about fund allocations and deadlines for purchase recommendations;
- discussing collection development issues, policies, and procedures;
- assisting with identifying appropriate materials for selection, including sources and reviews.
As emphasized in the College Libraries Mission Statement, College Libraries will acquire materials that:
- Are intellectually appropriate for and related to undergraduate and graduate programs at SUNY Potsdam;
- Contribute to the scholarly and intellectual diversity of the collection, including materials not specifically related to the current curriculum;
- Contribute to richer, more diverse library collections among SUNY Colleges of Arts & Sciences. Additionally, purchase considerations will reflect the goals and agreements of the SUNY Comprehensive Colleges Coordinated Collection Development efforts.
Library Liaisons for Collection Development
All areas in Arts & Sciences and the School of Education & Professional Studies
Music Composition & Theory, Music Education, Music Performance